The Italy Series
My Italy Series represents a journey through Italy, a romantic series that will draw you in and trigger memories of Italy, creating excitement, happiness and hopefully inspiring you to live your journey.
The Process: a photographic landscape collage layered with an antique map of Italy, words and numbers, printed on Fine Art Epson Paper, mounted to a cradled 1.5” birch wood panel, then hand-painted gold leaf complete with an epoxy resin finish.
In the beginning I start to explore my fascination with cubes/squares, while integrating my photography and antique maps plus mixed media using words stamped in steel.
The transition from the photos cut into squares to a collage of masked photos layered with intention retains the fascination of the square in the longitude and latitude lines of the map where I paint them in gold leaf.
Then in my Martini Series I return to cutting photos into squares but this time with a cubist approach.
The Meaning Behind My Italy Series: Beyond the image
1. In many pieces you might see a photo of my dad; Anthony Vella and myself (eating an ice-cream cone) sitting in front of the Trevi Fountain in Rome, 1967. In some works this image is hidden, more discreet - it is my homage to my father, he was photographer and well travelled with a love for maps. He also gave me his Canon cameras whenever he upgraded to a new one.
2. What do the numbers 764 represent? I was born on the 7th day and in 1964
3. The Woman on the bike "Who is she?" - I don't actually know her and wished I did get her contact details. I was in Amsterdam in 2003, where I stopped on my way back from Italy, and accompanied by another photographer we were shooting constantly and to my luck, this Audrey Hepburn like woman was riding her bike towards me across a pedestrian bridge, only to stop in front of me to answer her mobile phone. With my camera in hand I instantly took a few snaps and she didn't bat an eye then continued on her way with her assistant quietly riding behind her. As you may have noticed I have her in almost all of my pieces, she has become my muse.
4. What does the 10 Angels mean? The bridge that you see in almost all of my pieces is the Bridge Ponte Sant'Angelo Angels of the Ponte Sant’Angelo created by Bernini for his 10 angels that stand upon the bridge share a message from God with the people about Christ’s Sufferings on earth. In 2012 I lived in Rome for a month and crossed this bridge daily giving me many wonderful memories.
5. Why Italy? - Well, why not? Like many, I fell in love with the Italian culture, the food, the people, the old cities, la dolce vita. I was inspired to create and my passion for Italy comes through in my photography and art... I am just being true to myself, Italy had to be my first series.
Original Art: The Process: a photographic mosaic collage with an antique map of Italy, words and numbers, impressed steel, printed on Fine Art Epson Paper, mounted to a cradled 1.5” wood panel, then hand-painted gold leaf complete with an epoxy resin finish.